Ismene festalis or Spider Lily has an umbel of 4 or 6 white fragrant flowers. The flowers have a trumpet-shaped staminal crown, surrounded by 6 long recurved strap-shaped petals.
The plant forms a tuft of leaves of 40-60 cm, lanceolate and bright green. It is from the center of the clump that the flower stalk grows erect.
Hymenocallis x Festalis
USDA Zone 9, 5 °C
Division of bulbs
Sun, light or partial shade
- can be grown in pots or open ground
- grown in pots, water frequently during the growing season. It resists both swampy conditions and drought.
- give fertiliser every 2 weeks
- bring the bulbs inside in winter before the first frost
- cut the leaves and stems of faded flowers and dry the plant
- once dry, remove as much soil as possible from the bulb and leave it in a dry place, sheltered from frost
- plant bulbs in spring when danger of frost is gone and the weather is much milder (May)
- cut the faded flowers so that the bulb can regain strength before winter
- Ismene festalis: lastonein