Ismene longipetala or Spider Lily is part of the subgenus Elisena and is distinguished by its white semi-transparent flowers, its curly and elegant 10 cm long petals and a long perianth tube whose base is green. The crown measures about 3 cm in diameter.
The flower sits on top of a tubular shaft above the leaves that are 90 cm long and 3.5 to 5 cm wide. It is not fragrant.
Ismene longipetala is used in the creation of many hybrids.
Ecuador and Peru
USDA Zone 9, 5 °C
Division of bulbs
Sun, light or partial shade
- can be grown in pots or open ground
- grown in pots, water frequently during the growing season. It resists both swampy conditions and drought.
- give fertiliser every 2 weeks
- bring the bulbs inside in winter before the first frost
- cut the leaves and stems of faded flowers and dry the plant
- once dry, remove as much soil as possible from the bulb and leave it in a dry place, sheltered from frost
- plant bulbs in spring when danger of frost is gone and the weather is much milder (May)
- cut the faded flowers so that the bulb can regain strength before winter
- Ismene longipetala: euganeo_album